The Birdcage Bandstand
Conversion and refurbishment of a Grade II Listed Victorian Bandstand located on the seafront in Hove for Brighton and Hove City Council. Construction cost £1.2M. Completed 2009. RIBA Stages 0-7
Designed by Phillip Lockwood in 1883 the Bandstand was originally intended as a shelter for ladies to rest under and take in the sea views, but quickly began to host bands (and gentlemen).
Public toilets (spending a Penny) were provided at the lower level with a maintenance basement (below sea level). The bandstand fell into disrepair from the 1970’s when the bridge linking the Bandstand to the Upper Promenade was removed.
The renovation works consisted of the cast iron structure, domed roof (formally copper clad) and bandstand floor being carefully dismantled for restoration in 2008. The cast iron structure was transported to a foundry in the Peak District where 40 layers of paint were removed and damaged cast iron re-forged before the renovated structure was re-erected and the reconstruction of the copper domed roof could be completed. The Bandstand stands proud again, its intricate cast iron detailing revealed for the first time in over 100 years, the bridge linking the Bandstand to the Upper Promenade replaced and the copper roof and lantern once again shelters bands, dancing and wedding ceremonies. The ground floor public lavatories and basement have been converted into a café and kitchens. Rental income from the café and wedding ceremony fees cover the ongoing maintenance costs making this a sustainable and income generating scheme for the Council.
Sussex Heritage Trust Awards 2010, Highly Commended
South East LABC Overall Winner 2010 - Technical Category; Finalist - Best Community Building
Lighting Design Award - Special Project Award 2010
International Green Apple Award for the Built Environment 2010 - National Gold
RICS Awards 2010 - Runner up in Building Conservation Category